This warm, simple recipe will have you feeling cozy all season long. Black beans and brown rice are great pantry staples and can be used in a huge variety of dishes. This delicious brown rice and black bean soup will have you feeling all the comfort food love – without needing to put on Thanksgiving pants to enjoy!
Brown Rice and Black Bean Soup
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 can (15oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 Tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and diced
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, combine onion, olive oil, garlic, oregano, and cumin. Cook over medium heat until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in beans and broth. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until beans are heated through.
- Add rice to bean mixture and stir.
- Serve sprinkled with feta and avocado to taste.
Delicious with a side of nutritious:
Black beans are great sources of fiber, protein, magnesium, and folate. Adding brown rice enhances the magnesium and fiber content while adding B vitamins and selenium. These two ingredients work great together in a variety of vegetarian dishes or as sides.
Family friendly tip:
Got kiddos who don’t exactly like foods mixed all together? We get it! Serve some of the soup in a small dish and a little of each of its components on the side (brown rice, beans, avocado). Enjoy a little discussion of how these ingredients came together to make a meal. Then, each item can be tried individually as well as together in the soup.